Strategic Growth Starts with the Action of Hiring
By Talmar Anderson
“Why DO you run off incessantly about hiring Talmar when we know you are a strategic business co-creator? Hiring is just a piece, right?” I talk about, write about and promote hiring strategies, process and best practices non-stop.
I do this because I watch you struggle. I watch you create your own chaos. I watch as you settle for good enough. Worse…I watch as you set yourself up for frustration, heartache and continued financial expense! 100% of successful business strategies include finding the right team. Please, let’s find a way to build a process and system that you can get behind and commit to spending time upon because it IS the singular piece that will ensure you love your business for a long, long time.
But first, we need to set reasonable hiring expectations with YOU by way of some Talmar’s Truths…
- No. We will not find you a number 2 that will stay with you for the next 15 years.
- No. We will not combine 3 part time needs into one full time underachiever with little to no chance of success in all, much less 2 different skill sets.
- No. People do not leave a company for more money but they will choose to start with your company over money!
- Yes! You must call all of those reference checks. (More on that in the next blog!)
“What if “they” do it wrong? What if they leave after I spend 3 months and money training “them”? What if “they” can’t do it as well as me? What if “they” take too much of my time asking questions and interrupting my work?”
I get that the human resource side represents all that we business owners fear…lack of control!
One more Talmar’s Truth. It is gonna happen. Staff and employees demonstrate a myriad of human complications. Planning to build and grow a sustaining and scaling business? Your company is sure to experience these situations. There are ways to manage each possibility but we ARE working with humans and these are the realities.
So let’s plan for people.
- Let’s hire the best for each specific role within our company. We need to take the time and follow our internal hiring process. Not missing a step will help us weed out the good enough for the “Wow. What did we do before them?’ team.
- Let’s plan to clearly lay out expectations for peak performance through documentation and communication. Draft operations manuals, employment advertisements, job descriptions, and 1-1 management schedules that build and protect our teams.
- Ohhhh….You thought all those documents were to protect the company? Silly rabbits, those documents are to define how a staff member can be successful in your organization!
- Let’s start recruiting as a part of a proactive plan based on your strategy. You need to know what HIRING TRIGGERSto watch for and take the stress out of the “when” question.
Make time to find the person before your company is drowning! Too often we put off this piece. It is the piece that we try to create short cuts around. The piece that gets pushed so far to the bottom of our to do pile that by the time we have a “MUST” driving our actions we take what we can get …***Sad trombone***. You deserve better and so does your company!
When you dream about your ideal company…did you really hire the first person that lived close enough and showered that day?
The right team gets “it”. They find satisfaction delivering on their responsibilities that rivals your satisfaction. They get excited for a new client because they are enjoying their work and feel supported by the company. They come to work knowing what needs to be done and offering possible improvements. Being surrounded by THESE kinds of people are what make rapid growth, impactful innovation and financial success a reality. Why would you hurry through or try to “fit in” the discovery and on boarding of the people with whom you will be spending your best days? This IS your dream team!
Now GO! Grow!